We quickly discovered that the seeds and crushed peat pellets readily clogged the balloon opening. Blowing up the balloon first to stretch it out is key, as is using a funnel with a fairly large opening. We got the hang of it after the third balloon. For best results, you should add the fertilizer beads first, then the seed mixture, some tissue, the crushed peat pellets and finally the water. (For the Liz Christy seed bomb recipe, click here.)
(If you try this recipe or any other please drop us a line and let us know your secret.)
It was a messy affair, requiring an extensive clean-up afterwards, but it was fun! My kids love anything with balloons.
My daughter's attention waned after the ninth bomb, so that is when we called it quits. Besides, this was just "a test."
On Monday morning, as I was walking my son to daycare, I noticed that the fenced in area on the corner lot was actually unlocked (for a picture of our bombing site click here). Major coup! This meant that I could actually rake up some of the debris and dead leaves so the seed bombs would land on soil and improve their chances of survival.
After raking for about an hour that afternoon, I was pleased to discover that much of the debris and leaves accumulated over the years had decomposed into fairly good soil. I also collected the usual suspects: broken bottles, and a fair bit of polystyrene and styrofoam, which, as we know, never decomposes. In total, I filled five garbage bags before my husband reminded me that I was only looking for a place to "test" the seed bombs.
As we only made nine seed bombs, I thought we could target a small area in the corner where debris collects. Maybe future debris would serve as mulch.
Both my kids took part in the offensive, and although I told them to aim for the corner, several bombs...veered off course, while others did not explode at all and had to be relaunched.
Even if nothing grows, fun was had by all. I will keep you posted if we see any result.